Bexley Grammar School is a high achieving, oversubscribed school with highly committed, well qualified staff, excellent resources and Specialist Status in Languages and Science with Mathematics.
It offers a wealth of extra curricular activities, all of which go toward providing an enriching educational experience for our students.
A. Our Aims and Expectations
- To promote academic excellence
- To develop the personal and academic abilities of all our students
- To ensure that every student successfully participates in all aspects of the school community (sports, music, drama, art, languages and the environment)
- To develop the leadership potential of all students through the setting of high standards of behaviour, appearance, achievement and endeavour
- To take an active role in leadership of the school
- To take responsibility for own learning
- To promote the school ethos to younger students ~ leading by example in your attitude to learning and your behaviour
B. Entry Procedure into Year 12
All students entering the Sixth Form follow a two-year International Baccalaureate programme.
- A minimum grade 5 in English Language, English Literature and Mathematics
- A minimum average GCSE point score of 44 in their best 8 full GCSEs which must include English and Maths. (Point score is based on the new GCSE grades 9 to 1.)
In addition the following are requirements for specific subjects:
- Individual Higher subject requirements: Grade 8 at GCSE to study Mathematics. Grade 6 to study English. Grade 7 to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, German, Spanish, Italian; grade 6 for all other subjects.
The school determines which grades are required when a subject requested has not been taken at GCSE (eg. Economics, Business Management, Theatre Studies, etc).
C. Attendance and Punctuality
The Sixth Form is seen as a flagship for the school, leading by example in terms of attitude to learning, attendance and punctuality. The average attendance level in the school is 96.8% therefore the Sixth Form should be striving to achieve this and beyond.
D. Attitude to Learning
- All Private Study sessions are to be used effectively and appropriately for independent study
- In the absence of a member of staff, students are expected to complete work set in the timetabled room
E. Dress Code
All students should be wearing a smart blazer/suit jacket at all times;
Girls should be wearing either skirt suits or trouser suits with blouses or shirts
Boys should be wearing suits and ties and shirts;
Dresses, denim and leggings are not permitted;
Trainers are not permitted;
Skirts should be knee-length and of smart appearance. Short stretchy skirts are unacceptable;
A smart jumper is optional but must be worn underneath a suit jacket; it does not replace a suit jacket or blazer.
All students agree to adhere to the Sixth Form Dress Code.