Bexley Grammar School is a high achieving, oversubscribed school with highly committed, well qualified staff, excellent resources and Specialist Status in Languages and Science with Mathematics. It offers a wealth of extra curricular activities, all of which go toward providing an enriching educational experience for our students.
A. Our Aims and Expectations
- To promote academic excellence
- To develop the personal and academic abilities of all our students
- To ensure that every student successfully participates in all aspects of the school community (sports, music, drama, art, languages and the environment)
- To develop the leadership potential of all students through the setting of high standards of behaviour, appearance, achievement and endeavour
- To take an active role in leadership of the school
- To take responsibility for own learning
- To promote the school ethos to younger students ~ leading by example in your attitude to learning and your behaviour
B. Entry Procedure into Year 12
All students entering the Sixth Form follow a two-year International Baccalaureate programme.
- A minimum grade 5 in English Language & Literature and Mathematics
- An additional minimum of 5 grade Bs in other full GCSEs; or a minimum average GCSE point score of 46 in their best 5 full GCSEs. (Point score is based on the current point system of; A*=58, A=52, B=46, C=40, D=34 and E=28.)
In addition the following are requirements for specific subjects:
- Individual Higher subject requirements: Grade 8 at GCSE to study Mathematics. Grade 6 to study English. A grades to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, German, Spanish, Italian; B grade for all other subjects.
- Individual Standard subject requirements: Grade 7 to study Mathematics. Please note Mathematical Studies Standard level is accessible for student with a grade 5 or above.
The school determines which grades are required when a subject requested has not been taken at GCSE (eg. Economics, Business Management, Theatre Studies, etc).
C. Entry into Year 13
To continue into Year 13, students will be expected to have achieved at least a level 3 in each IB subject or at least two D grades and two E grades at AS level.
D. Attendance and Punctuality
The Sixth Form is seen as a flagship for the school, leading by example in terms of attitude to learning, attendance and punctuality. The average attendance level in the school is 96.8% therefore the Sixth Form should be striving to achieve this and beyond.
E. Attitude to Learning
- All Private Study sessions are to be used effectively and appropriately for independent study
- In the absence of a member of staff, students are expected to complete work set in the timetabled room
F. Dress Code click here for a pdf of the dress code
All students agree to adhere to the Sixth Form Dress Code.