Why the IB?
Bexley Grammar School prides itself on its outstanding academic record as well as its care for every individual. The pinnacle of our achievement is our consistently unrivalled success in securing the best destinations for our students, from prestigious work-based placements to a whole range of universities including record Oxbridge and Russell group university success for any school in the Borough of Bexley.
Why the IB?
- In our post-Brexit landscape, it will be even more necessary for tomorrow’s leaders to be able to engage with the whole global economy; the IB prepares you better for the fast-changing world of your future.
- Employers are crying out for students with a language, with some mathematical ability, with communication skills – all these are brilliantly developed by the IB Diploma.
- The best universities increasingly recognise the well-rounded, independent qualities of typical IB students and in recent years have been making increasingly attractive offers to BGS students – take a look at the Destinations Boards in the Canteen when you visit: you will see the amazing range and quality of our students’ outcomes.
- The IB is for the whole ability range – not only do we have IB students going on to Oxford and Cambridge and into Medicine, but every IB student last year, whatever their ability, received offers from respected universities – not one IB student failed to gain a place at university, if he or she wanted one. Another feature that may well benefit you is that there are so many different assessment styles: unlike A-Levels which are entirely linear and exam-based, most IB subjects are modular, with coursework, oral presentations, practicals and group work accounting for lots of the available marks.
- Over recent years, many students who did not achieve sufficient grades at GCSE to pursue the A level subjects they had chosen, followed those subjects in the IB and were very successful. (Click here for some examples of GCSE grade progression to University places in 2016). There are so many ways to make the IB work for you and manage your workload. Maths Studies allows you to continue with Maths at an accessible level if you do not intend to study it or a related subject at university. 95% of those who took English standard over the past two years achieved a 5 or better, continuing to improve their communication skills for the workplace. Standard level language continues naturally from a GCSE language or you may try a new language at beginners (ab initio) level without any previous experience. If you do not wish to pursue a traditional science, you may choose Environmental Studies or perhaps Sports Science or Computer Science. There is a combination that will personalise the IB for you, provide the three Higher subjects you need for university while keeping the breadth that will put you a notch above others in the eyes of your future employers.
The IB is the best option for bright, ambitious young people today. There are literally 1000’s of Diploma packages available at BGS – find the one that uniquely prepares you for the next stage in your education.